NEWBIE to KS and CS, many questions....
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

NEWBIE to KS and CS, many questions....

by Jonathan08 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new to actually going through the process of holding a croud funding campaign so I have many questions. As an artist designer, the whole idea of being able to do this really excites me. I have been working on a few projects that I plan to launch in the near future. One of them I would class as desktop art, home decor......gadget(loosely), I've been researching as much as can about the whole process and this site has been AMAZING also, so big thanks to Salvador for spearheading something like this. If I wouldn't have done the research, I probably would have launched my campaign thinking and hoping it would take off by itself......but as I see, there is a lot of PR and marketing that goes into a successful campaign.

So the overall message I get is that you need to build an audience and buzz before launching, almost making the KS campaign more of an "extra step" in an already "successful" product. I totally get that, makes a lot of sense.

My issue is that I don't have many personal contacts that I can think of that will help to build buzz, my facebook friends list is only 66 people and I tried to export the data to get everyone's email address but funny thing, NONE of my friends have added their contact info.lol. Even at that, it's not something that I really want to bother everyone with, it just feels a little weird getting in touch with people that I havn't seen for a long time and the first thing I "push" on them is my product campaign. It's a little awkward. Just like when people come onto sites like this and ONLY plug their campaigns, it's really lame, totally turns me off.

I'm just wondering if there is any way to build up contacts quickly, I mean ligament contacts. I don't even mean hollow connections like twitter or facebook, I would actually like to spend the time to chat and talk to people to get to know them, I'd like to get their feedback on my idea also. Basically it would be nice if their was a place to make a whack load of new friends that was more specific and relevant to my project target market. I'm assuming that would be the idea behind contacting bloggers etc.

I've started to create an excel spreadsheet of all the relevant websites I could find that anything related to my idea category. I'm hoping I can make a few new connections that way, but as far as creating huge e-mail lists from facebook friends, that's not going to happen.

I did however set up a facebook business page a few years ago for my motorcycle side business which I paid for advertising for, and accumulated over 11K likes, literally they would pour in about 100+ a day, which was nice. But I noticed there was very little interaction on my site, sort of surprising. I started to wonder if they were even real people or just facebook bots..... Not only that, but I used to be able to see the people behind the likes, now I can't see any individual accounts, it just says likes +11K. If they were real likes, it would be nice to be able to port those addresses over and use them for advertising....

giftsandcoupons
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: NEWBIE to KS and CS, many questions....

by giftsandcoupons » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:43 am

Hi Jonathan,

You raised alot of good points, especially building up contacts and then staying in touch and marketing to them when the time is right. If you look at LinkedIn, it's the same thing - just keeping in touch and building up your contact list in case you have the opportunity to do something. Networking is necessary unfortunately ;/

Ok onto your potential KS campaign. It depends what it is really. If it's a gadget/art thing then my own target audience will probably like it. To get maximum exposure instantly, yes you probably need to spend money to do it.

I think alot of the time it's luck and timing how a certain site or campaign gets exposure, then the owner gloats whilst explaining they "did nothing". I'd like to hear more about your campaign though.
    http://www.giftsandcoupons.com/submit - Get more exposure of your Kickstarter / Indiegogo Project

http://www.giftsandcoupons.com - We Showcase the Ultimate Gifts
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Gifts,

I appreciate the reply. Yes, the networking is the hard part, just so busy with other things. I think we're just going to try to do our best and just reach out to as many ezines, magazines and bloggers as possible. Hopefully we can get some publicity that way without spending too much. Like most true KS campaigns, we don't have a ton of money to spend on Mark & PR but the more I reseach about this stuff, the more I realize that spending big money on PR is not always required....

You could have a celebrity pick up your design, tweet about it and Bam, you wake up the next day with a million dollars worth of orders :)..... ok ok, maybe that's a little bit of wishfull thinking but that's what I love about this industry, KS and croudfunding, there is the potential for HUGE success, sometimes even overnight. KS and IndieGG are like a designers, artists dream come true. It's just really exciting.

"I think alot of the time it's luck and timing how a certain site or campaign gets exposure, then the owner gloats whilst explaining they "did nothing". I'd like to hear more about your campaign though."

Hahaha, yes good one. I'm sure there is always something behind a successful campaign, maybe one of the ads they paid for kicked in and they didn't realize or forgot about it.

In terms of hearing more about my campaign, at this point in time I have 2 major project parterships on the go and one personal project I want to run from my own account. One of the partnerships actually came about through the kickstarter community! Which is pretty cool and I'm excited to reveal it. I can give the categories that we will be in:

Project 1 will be in Product design, "desk art", "desk toy", "educational device"

Project 2 will be in Product design, "gadget" "docking station" "desktop peripheral" etc. etc.

Project 3 will be in Product design, "desk art", "desktop storage", "Novelty gift"

I don't really want to give too much away as we havn't exactly figured out when we will be launching yet so I just feel that someone could easily be inspired by or easily copy our concepts and beat us to a campaign if we pre-launch too early. We want to pre-launch only a month or two prior to our campaign launch. Again, I'm new at this, so not sure if this strategy is warranted or if we should be spending even more time for pre-launch. I just feel that with product categories I'm dealing with, there's a lot of competition and I'm sure many designers and artists are surfing the web for inspiration so we have to keep that in mind. We're trying to balance the paranoia somewhat :P

I had a chance to browse your site and I would have to say, my first to projects would be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT fits for your website. The third project would be a little colder because it's more a "tech" gadget, a little less "desk art". I think it would be better suited to a "tech & gadgets" style blog or ezine.

Send me a PM. If you don't mind, I will send you a press release when we're ready to go.
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:47 pm

I think one thing that I'm starting to realize also as I mature and learn more about business and this new world of croudfunding is that I had the mind set that KS was the be it and end all.....as in, I thought that if you launched a campaign on kS and it failed that that was it, it was over. But I think if anything, it's just more to learn from. During the 30 days, you get a free market test for you idea, sure, if you didn't do your marketing properly it might impact your bottom line but the cool part is, the KS community alone is pretty large, so atleast you're going to get some comments and feedback, not to mention the analytics from the build in platform to see where all the traffic came from, which is really invaluable. So you're don't really loose. In the worst case, you get feedback about your product and it could be a case where everyone is saying, "no, not a good idea, move on" or "good idea, but change this, this and this, and I would buy it" etc. etc. If the feedback is overwhelmingly negative, then you might have to walk away and pursue something else. It's all a learning process.

So your product or project is a lot more than just a 30 day campaign.... you can have a great project and it can still fail for a variety of reasons but as long as you have a good product to start with, you can move on and build from there, try other promotional channels, maybe pursue other funding options etc. etc. My thinking now, which in hindsight is obviously is that, I think if you have a good product and team that is passionate enough about something, you can build and create the industry around it, regardless of KS and really make it happen. It's not so much about the success or failure of the campaign or coming up with the "PERFECT" end product your first campaign launch, it's more about how good is your idea or concept in the first place, is their a market for it, do people actually want what you've created, can you execute properly, can your team work together to realize the end goal, can you rally people around your idea, can you build buzz etc.
    giftsandcoupons
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by giftsandcoupons » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:55 am

Wow big replies from you! All your points are valid and make sense.

I'm pretty sure the pm function doesn't work on this site, I've notified the owners but most of the time I found the message gets stuck in the outbox and doesn't go anywhere.

You can contact me at email@giftsandcoupons.com

:)
    http://www.giftsandcoupons.com/submit - Get more exposure of your Kickstarter / Indiegogo Project

http://www.giftsandcoupons.com - We Showcase the Ultimate Gifts
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:11 am

Lol. Yes, I'll have to cut them down a bit...I like to talk shop, what can I say.
    Well good to make the connection. I will be sure to contact you soon about our projects. Thank you.
    Cristina
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Cristina » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:24 am

This post has been moved to the General Chat + Introduce Yourself section.
    Forum Moderator.
    Site Owner: Salvador Briggman
  • Vanessa
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Vanessa » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 am

Hi Jonathan,

You're on a right track that you want to connect with your followers on a more personal level, because that is what most of backers also want before they decide whether to donate or not. That is also one of the reasons why you have to work on building your contacts base several months before the start of your campaign.
    You can use our app Krowdster to get in touch with hundreds of proven backers on social media filtered by your projects' category. https://www.krowdster.co/blog/crowdfund ... press.html
    #1 Crowdfunding Campaign Optimization, Crowd Building & Promotion App https://www.krowdster.co/
    Jonathan08
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

by Jonathan08 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:50 pm

I'll be honest with you, I'm skeptical about how much your site would help. I'm sure many people choose that route and I bet your contact lists are inundated with campaigners trying to push their products. I'd rather build followers organically just by doing the research myself. Are your contact lists "opt in" ? are the fee's monthly or a one time fee? How do I know the quality of the contact lists?