My First Abstract Art Video Album
  • kattie99
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

My First Abstract Art Video Album

by kattie99 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Hi, my name is Katherine and I'm new to the forum. I found this forum on linkedin. :) I am a digital abstract artist and I create music videos at my youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/beatnikblends I've been working with color for over 10 years. First I started in web design, ventured off to photo manipulation, and now I love to create abstract art.

I just started a kickstarter project and I'm kind of clueless on how to promote it. My kickstarter is about creating an abstract art video album. I will be creating 10 designs using 10 different songs, all in one video. I never made video album before and this is going to be huge project for me. I'm starting to look around for ways that can help me promote the kickstarter. Any tips would be awesome! Thanks so much. :) :)

Here's my kickstarter project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1085202826/an-epic-abstract-art-music-video-album-project

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: My First Abstract Art Video Album

by sbriggman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:14 am

Few ideas:

- Cut your video down to 5 minutes max.

- Why do you need to buy an external hard drive/memory card? Just use dropbox.

After watching your youtube videos, I think your designs/art is awesome! You should include pictures of that in your campaign. I also really like the music you use.

What kind of feedback do you get on your youtube videos? Have you ever considered putting all the frames (just the paint board) together into a video instead of videotaping your computer screen?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • kattie99
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by kattie99 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:03 pm

sbriggman wrote:Few ideas:

- Cut your video down to 5 minutes max.

- Why do you need to buy an external hard drive/memory card? Just use dropbox.

After watching your youtube videos, I think your designs/art is awesome! You should include pictures of that in your campaign. I also really like the music you use.

What kind of feedback do you get on your youtube videos? Have you ever considered putting all the frames (just the paint board) together into a video instead of videotaping your computer screen?

Wow... didn't know so many things were wrong with the kickstarter. :( I am not sure what a dropbox is but I'll look it up. I'll delete the video and do it over again but that will take some time. It took me many hours to make that video and I was hesitant on making a video because I hate my voice. Might just delete the video and not post anything.

I don't have a cd drive on my computer. Just incase something happens with my computer while I'm making the album, I'll have a backup. Plus I'm not able to make the dvds without an external drive or something that could help me make the dvds. I do have an online storage but I'm not sure I'll have enough space to store the videos and designs. Sometimes I run into memory issues when making videos. I stated in the risk and challenges area that I may need a memory card if I run into issues saving the movie. I may not need one but it may be a problem.

I don't know of another way to record the design process of then recording the screen. I make the designs on my computer. If you referring to seeing the taskbar, as I mentioned in the kickstarter, the video I showed was old and newer videos just show the software program. The video is a look on how I make the design from the beginning to the end. :( I really don't understand what you mean about the frames. I use movie maker to edit my videos. I could buy Sony Vegas and do more editing on how the videos look.

I will post some designs on the kickstarter as well. Your post is really giving second thoughts about my work, especially the video and the kickstarter project. :/ I'll figure out how to fix the kickstarter. Not sure how to fix the videos.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Those are just my opinions mind you, so take them with a grain of salt :). I think your art/music is awesome!

You could also use the video on your website or another medium. Just in my experience, people's attention span is limited to about 5 minutes with Kickstarter videos. I like your voice :D

You can use dropbox as a backup. It's free up to 2 gigs I believe. External HD prices may have gone down the last time I checked.

I was just suggesting it as an option (the way that when music plays on itunes or used to on windows player, it would play cool images and colors). I think it's cool to see your design process also. Was just offering another way to test showcasing your art. In my line of work, I like to test out and try out different ways to engage my audience - not saying one way is valid or not, but just to be creative and find the best way to communicate.

I wouldn't let my post give you second thoughts about your work. Maybe the Kickstarter video. You should always listen closest to your audience and your customers, not an outside opinion like mine ;).
  • kattie99
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by kattie99 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:38 pm

sbriggman wrote:Those are just my opinions mind you, so take them with a grain of salt :). I think your art/music is awesome!

You could also use the video on your website or another medium. Just in my experience, people's attention span is limited to about 5 minutes with Kickstarter videos. I like your voice :D

You can use dropbox as a backup. It's free up to 2 gigs I believe. External HD prices may have gone down the last time I checked.

I was just suggesting it as an option (the way that when music plays on itunes or used to on windows player, it would play cool images and colors). I think it's cool to see your design process also. Was just offering another way to test showcasing your art. In my line of work, I like to test out and try out different ways to engage my audience - not saying one way is valid or not, but just to be creative and find the best way to communicate.

I wouldn't let my post give you second thoughts about your work. Maybe the Kickstarter video. You should always listen closest to your audience and your customers, not an outside opinion like mine ;).

Second thoughts about how I make my music videos not the art itself. It takes a lot of time to make the videos and I thought my videos looked ok. I never received any negative feedback from them until now. But after trying different methods all yesterday, I'm going to stick with what I'm doing because I like it and it looks better compared to the other methods I tested.

I did delete the kickstarter video and will replace it. Not sure how to condense everything into 5 minutes but I will work something out. It saddens me a bit because I'm already a few days into the kickstarter and I don't think all this editing is a good thing. I put in so much time to get everything right and I don't think I did well setting up the kickstarter. :cry:

Overall, it's definitely a lesson learned. If what I'm doing is not enough then I will make the album on my own. I'm not going to let a kickstarter stop me from moving forward and learning more about color and expanding my channel. It will take a lot more time but that's ok. Thanks for the tips.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Cool. Let me know if there is any way I can help. I did another startup a while back (musicmind.co) and still have a twitter account for that with about 500 followers. Happy to retweet you there @musicmindalpha.

You could also wait a week or so and see how many video completions you get/the kind of traction you are getting. I could be completely wrong. If after a week, you aren't getting any traction, then you could consider revising.