My 1st project,the Lumi-L
  • isaac_yao
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

My 1st project,the Lumi-L

by isaac_yao » Sat May 03, 2014 4:56 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Isaac,I just started my 1st product design project on kickstarter 2days ago,the Lumi-L,,a switchless and portable LED smart lamp,which I meant to make the lighting method easier,please check us out here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lumi-l/lumi-l
    I was pretty confident when I pressing the launch button,but it seems I got a slow start,I though it would be the lack of explosure on media,i am just doing it ,but after several email sent to the editors email box,there is nothing came back,could any one give me some tip on this? :cry: or it is the lamp it self not that interesting? :cry:
    please let me know if you have any issues ,thanks in advance.

Isaac

• sayheylo
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: My 1st project,the Lumi-L

by sayheylo » Sat May 03, 2014 6:48 am

very simple nice idea and implementation, congratulations. I`ve just saw this post of your and checked the campaign page.

only this gif, you used here would be enough for me to support you :)

by the way we just tweeted about your campaign @sayheylo as à tout le Monde Studios..

Good luck!
  • isaac_yao
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by isaac_yao » Sat May 03, 2014 12:54 pm

sayheylo wrote:very simple nice idea and implementation, congratulations. I`ve just saw this post of your and checked the campaign page.

only this gif, you used here would be enough for me to support you :)

by the way we just tweeted about your campaign @sayheylo as à tout le Monde Studios..

Good luck!

Thank you!!!that‘s a big hand for me to bring this idea to reality,I wish to say 1000 times thanks for your support and for your like of Lumi-L,it was so warming for a product designer :P
  • dmartyna
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by dmartyna » Mon May 05, 2014 5:12 pm

I think the design is pretty cool. The only thing I would say is people like hearing from the creator in the video. It brings a personal touch the project, and people like supporting people.
  • isaac_yao
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by isaac_yao » Tue May 06, 2014 2:27 am

dmartyna wrote:I think the design is pretty cool. The only thing I would say is people like hearing from the creator in the video. It brings a personal touch the project, and people like supporting people.

Hi,Dmartyna,thanks alot for your kind advice,emmm,in fact ,there was two video we've made for this campaign,the first one seems too raw and unprepared,so I decided to give a second run,that came the one you've watched on the page,I was consididering to add a part of personal intro,but I thought everything I speak will be actually the same content with the first part, :oops:
    I will think about this again,it might be my fault on that decision,also I thought it was the lack of media explosion,I've sent emails and twitterrs as much as I can,but nothing changed :?
  • JeighEssdottBooks
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JeighEssdottBooks » Tue May 06, 2014 2:40 pm

I truly love the Lumi-L concept. It's simplistic, but conceptual, which is pretty much growing popular these days, especially with houses! In your video it shows you carrying it around, which shows that it's portable--another great reason to have one. Also, the LED light is strong enough to use in the dark, unlike some other LED lamps, such as the one I bought from Sharper Image years ago.

One question: Is the strength of the light adjustable?
    Rise, Shine, Prevail,

Jeigh Essdott Books

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... -testimony
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Tue May 06, 2014 3:15 pm

Cool product - is 60k the minimum amount you need to produce the first batch of Lumi-L?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • isaac_yao
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by isaac_yao » Wed May 07, 2014 2:29 pm

JeighEssdottBooks wrote:I truly love the Lumi-L concept. It's simplistic, but conceptual, which is pretty much growing popular these days, especially with houses! In your video it shows you carrying it around, which shows that it's portable--another great reason to have one. Also, the LED light is strong enough to use in the dark, unlike some other LED lamps, such as the one I bought from Sharper Image years ago.

Hi Jeigh,

Thanks for your love of this concept,and yes,Lumi-L is portable and with strong power lighting which I made for practicality,I think the lighting is the main reason why we made a lamp,not toy.

But the strenght of the light is not adjustable,for adding this function, it may involved more control units and components and will change the scale and shape of the lamp body, even change the gravity center,so I dropped this function to a pure and easy direction,3 functions shift by changing position is cool enouogh for me though.

But thanks for your tips,I may reconsider it if I may make another prototype, ;)

have a nice day pal!

Isaac
  • isaac_yao
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by isaac_yao » Wed May 07, 2014 2:44 pm

sbriggman wrote:Cool product - is 60k the minimum amount you need to produce the first batch of Lumi-L?

Hi mate,nice to see you in this post,and I have to say,60k is the minimum,because tooling for the lamp body may heavily effects the final pricing of a product,for whatever the quantity is,the cost of tooling will get higher as the quantity get lower that shared for a single product,for example,if we make 500 lamps,tooling cost is $20 for each,if we make 200 lamps,the cost will directly reach to $50 for each of Lumi-L,adding with painting,assembly,purchasing components,and other elements,the cost will bust the budget and no one will pay for the high price for it. and a manufacturor will not take the deal with us,they may go for a big one, :roll:

500 lumi-L or more will do for the first batch,but so far, I aint see any possibility for make it,any advice? :(
    Last edited by isaac_yao on Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • JeighEssdottBooks
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JeighEssdottBooks » Wed May 07, 2014 2:45 pm

isaac_yao wrote:
    JeighEssdottBooks wrote:I truly love the Lumi-L concept. It's simplistic, but conceptual, which is pretty much growing popular these days, especially with houses! In your video it shows you carrying it around, which shows that it's portable--another great reason to have one. Also, the LED light is strong enough to use in the dark, unlike some other LED lamps, such as the one I bought from Sharper Image years ago.

Hi Jeigh,

Thanks for your love of this concept,and yes,Lumi-L is portable and with strong power lighting which I made for practicality,I think the lighting is the main reason why we made a lamp,not toy.

But the strenght of the light is not adjustable,for adding this function, it may involved more control units and components and will change the scale and shape of the lamp body, even change the gravity center,so I dropped this function to a pure and easy direction,3 functions shift by changing position is cool enouogh for me though.

But thanks for your tips,I may reconsider it if I may make another prototype, ;)

have a nice day pal!

Isaac

Oh I don't think you should really change it. The fact that everything is functional just by tilt is amazing, and I think it would take away from that concept. Plus, like you wrote, it would mean more control units and components, and having to compromise the scale and shape of it, and with how you have the gravity center, you really don't want to take that risk. It's amazing as it is, in my opinion!
    Rise, Shine, Prevail,

Jeigh Essdott Books

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... -testimony