Kickstarting an innovative comic company: Identity Comics
  • phillipkelly
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Kickstarting an innovative comic company: Identity Comics

by phillipkelly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm Phillip Kelly. One half of the founding members of Identity Comics. I'm running a kickstarter campaign for the first issue. I've been reading comics since I was 10. Performing and involved in theatre since the age of 12, and went to film school and have become a professional screenwriter in Hollywood these past couple years. I'm excited about this endeavor. I have so many story ideas, and this is a way to explore them all!

Here's the press release! :)

Lars Canty and Phillip Kelly, founders of Identity Comics, get rolling with their first exciting anthology of original stories in their inaugural comic, Verge...with a little help from their fans.

Lars Canty is an artist and writer. He worked at Malibu Comics and Marvel back in the 90's as a colorist on titles like X-Men, The Avengers , and many others. He's spent the last several years marketing and designing graphics for motion picture campaigns. Phillip is a professional screenwriter, a student of everything from live theatre to literature to film. They've shared an equal passion for the comic book medium since their youth, and their desire to bring their experiences together, led to forming Identity Comics.

Identity Comics is creator owned and created, with a twist. Using the interaction of the online world, readers will be able to influence the direction of the stories. Phillip explains, “The immediacy of facebook and other online community sites thrills us. To that end, we're putting a system in place that will allow our readers' feedback to influence what happens next. It'll keep our audience involved in a way they aren't allowed to be in other arenas, and keep us on our toes,” though he adds, “Be careful what you wish for! You may inspire something you aren't expecting.”

Lars says their first endeavor, Verge, “Will showcase different stories and art from different talent across the country. We will be featuring exciting stories ranging from science fiction to classic comic superhero tales. There will be something to attract every fan of every genre!” Phillip adds, “Several of the stories will mix genres in incredibly idiosyncratic ways.” The first issue of Verge will contain four such stories:

"Concrete Shoes" is a film noir, cyberpunk, gothic horror hybrid that takes place in 2056, when a deceased bulldozer of an ex-mafia member forces himself back to life to protect his son, he comes back partly covered in concrete. It's going to be a violent ride, psychologically and physically painful for the heroes.

"El Fantasmo" is a true serial in which a boy from Columbia escapes the disease ridden and fanatical village he grew up in to become a lucha libre style hero to the people.

"The Girl Made of Ice" is a science fiction, adventure, horror story that takes place in a slightly altered Los Angeles. It begins with a 13-year-old inadvertently setting free the worst war criminals and sociopaths the Universe has to offer.

"The Sheet" is a satire-parody of some of the worst and best comics out there today. It stars a living, breathing, thinking bed sheet.

As with many creative endeavors, they are currently running a kickstarter campaign to help build awareness and initial funding for Verge #1, the campaign runs until September 14th, 2013. To help fund this endeavor go to their kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/182 ... omic-books and spread the word!

If all goes well, Verge #1 will hit Amazon.com and some local comic stores around Los Angeles sometime in November.

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Kickstarting an innovative comic company: Identity Comic

by sbriggman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Welcome to the forum! I was looking at your analytics and noticed a huge spike on 9/5. Any reason why?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.