Hi, newbie here, would love some feedback
  • kumbricia
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Hi, newbie here, would love some feedback

by kumbricia » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 am

Hi, my name is Nicole Sloan and I'm a newbie here. I just released my project today and I would love some feedback on it. I want to publish my first novel called, "Yazen." It is the first book in the Ponith series. It is a young adult/fantasy novel. Please check out my project here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... e_location

It is nice to meet everyone and I do wish everyone good luck on their projects. I have been learning a lot just looking at everyone else's projects and comments. Thank you for stopping by and I would love to hear from you. Thanks! :)

-Nicole Sloan :D

• Anna Coffey
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Hi, newbie here, would love some feedback

by Anna Coffey » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:20 pm

I just started our project two days ago and am a newbie here as well. I just looked at yours, in your video it goes so fast most will not have time to read what you have put there. Why not read it to them as well. Hope your project goes great good luck, you can check out my project at http://kck.st/1om1twG if you have the time.

-Anna Coffey
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:45 pm

@kumbricia - One tip would be to split up your blocks of text so that it's a bit more scannable.

" My novel is almost complete and I'm working on my second draft but still needs work. I’m in the editing phase of my book and I need your help. My book cover is almost complete and I think it looks great so far but in order for me to make my book a success, I need to do further editing and marketing. "

Headline for this block would be something like "What stage is my project in?"

" This is the main reason I’m reaching out on Kickstarter for your help. I want to continue writing and go on to make the second novel in the series, called Volux. I have an outline of the series already planned out, spanning 5 books, but I need your help to finish up Yazen first.

If this project reaches the desired goal, the money will go towards getting an editor, Kerrie McLoughlin. I want to make sure my book has no errors. The rest of the money will go towards Marketing/Advertising for my novel. I would like to advertise on FaceBook, Google Adwords, GoodReads, and maybe a few other places that I find.

If I go over my goal or if there’s any money left over, it will go towards my second novel of the series, Volux, (Cover, Editing and Marketing/Advertising). I have had a blast writing this novel so far and I can’t wait to start the second installment. I’m so excited that I’ll be able to share Yazen with everyone soon."

Headline for this might be, "what will the funds be used for?"

See: http://www.crowdcrux.com/copywriting-ti ... ter-pitch/

On the video, I would HIGHLY recommend putting yourself in the video. Like @anna said there are portions with walls of text that fly by too fast to read. Also, if you're attempting to attract strangers, the easiest way to develop rapport is to put yourself in the video, show them you are a real person, and show your passion for the project.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • kumbricia
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by kumbricia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:30 am

I just want to say thank you to both of you for your help. I'm editing my project now and I'm adding a video of myself. Thanks again for your help, I do appreciate it. :D
    -Nicole

Update: I edited my descriptions with titles and added a new video of myself. Thanks again!!!
  • nikkwong
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by nikkwong » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:20 am

I love the idea but not super in love with the name ( a little hard to say ); just my opinion. In my opinion, it's a little hard for people to remember a name if it doesn't roll off the tongue very easily. Although I'm sure it'll work! Here's my campaign. Thanks so much!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... al-filters
  • InfiniteHorizonsUly
    Kickstarter Succcess
    Kickstarter Succcess

by InfiniteHorizonsUly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:11 pm

I agree with Sal--it is very important, if you are "unknown" to appear in the video. You can create another video and host it on Vimeo or YouTube and add the link to the project Story section. If backers see you, they will feel they are supporting someone they "know."

It is really a sales cycle, people buy from who they like and many backers pledge solely because they like the creator. It like how investors on Shark Tank invest in the person and not the company and often say that is the reason they are investing the venture capital.
    If you would like to see my art, then visit my tiny node on the web, click>>> www.starsongsandmoondreams.com
  • kumbricia
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by kumbricia » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 am

Thanks Nikkwong, I appreciate the feedback. I was going to say good luck to you but I see you cancelled your project. I do wish you the best and hope you get everything worked out.

Thanks InfiniteHorizonsUly, I did edit my video about a week ago and I'm in the video now. Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate it. I will have to check out Vimeo and YouTube, I didn't think of that idea. I appreciate your help. :) Yes, I love Shark Tank and I completely understand what you are saying. Thanks again.
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:16 pm

@kumbricia - If you tweet at @crowdcrux I can retweet you :). I love it when people new to Kickstarter are willing to learn and improve their projects! I know it takes a lot of work and can be a pain sometimes :).
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • kumbricia
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by kumbricia » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks sbriggman, I just tweeted it this morning. I appreciate your help :)
  • kumbricia
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by kumbricia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:19 am

I have a new update to my cover that I would love to share with you.

Hope you like it! I think it is coming along nicely. Have a great weekend everyone!!! :D

-Nicole