Hello - Planning Baseball Kickstarter
  • Neal Smith
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Hello - Planning Baseball Kickstarter

by Neal Smith » Mon May 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi

My name is Neal Smith and around the 3rd week in July, I am planning to launch a Kickstarter for a baseball project that I am calling Grinding Out 1-6-2: My Summer with The Toronto Blue Jays.

The idea is to leave the Uk for the 2014 baseball season, and attend all 162 games of the 2014 season. The book will be more than just a dry reciting of the box scores. I am planning to talk about the lifestyle, and to reflect that while the multi-millionaire players jet around, trainers, equipment guys and others do the same as well.

Also, it will be part travelogue and the people / adventures on the way, so that the whole thing will appeal to more than just Blue Jays fans.

I figure that all tickets, flight etc etc is going to run to £48,000.

I am unaware of any similar books. I know of one from a brit who visited all the stadiums in 1 summer, and single seasons have been followed afar (gem Faithful by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan), or all home games in a season (Feeding the Green Monster by Rob Neyer) but nothing like this, and especially from a brit.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips or hints at this early stage. I am promoting the project on Twitter and a Facebook page and although it is limited, I have one podcast appearance planned.

I have done some polls on the rewards people would like with limited response, and will obviously do lots more over the next 2 months, but wondered if anyone had anything wisdom from their own efforts that they could pass on?

Thanks all.