Get feedback on your crowdfunding campaign
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: I've backed 200+ projects...reach out with your project

by GregSilas » Sat May 30, 2015 12:16 pm

ledshotrod wrote:Hi, I can see you are a confirmed senior member and would appreciate your feedback and analysis of our project, the "L.E.D Shot Rod" [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/led-shot-rod/led-shot-rod-shot-glass-holder-rack-display] that isn't really kick-starting like we had hoped. What should be changed? Where is our mistake(s)? we are a humble crew and ready to make the right changes in order to make it happen. Please let us know your insights.

respectively,

The L.E.D Shot Rod

HI guys. I'll be blunt as I don't have much time so don't take it personally.
    (a) Well first...your video. The first 20 seconds are a waste...boring text...you're asking the audience to wait 20 seconds before they even see the product. And then they see it for 2 seconds before you go back for more text...34 more seconds of nothing but text and not saying anything new. Then we see the shot tray again for 1 second at the 00:56 mark. But from 00:57 to 01:39 more text, stuff running off different angles of the screen, pictures of a party scene.. The audience knows you are LED, they know the "crown jewel"...you say it like 5 times, they know the purpose of the video. Leave text (call to action only) until the end. The first time we see you is 01:39. I would immediately change your video so that you guys show up right away, or, the audience immediately understands the product because you have 10 seconds to grab people's attention and 30 seconds to explain the product. Your product needs to be DEMONSTRATED in detail right away. Later on you can drop a few party scenes. 01:39 to 01:47, Michael is talking but looking to the side for his lines, then again at 01:58. Michael should know his lines by heart. Both of the founders are talking about the shot glass/tray but the audience still does not understand it. Further, Michael should know his lines by heart. 2:05 you show a simple shot of the shot tray. You are still not demonstrating how it works, close ups, different angles, how was it built? Where do batteries go? How does it pack up? Is it durable? Sell me the product. 02:10 to 02:32...another 22 seconds wasted on snap photography. You are not showing anything new to the audience, just giving them a headache. Your video is your single biggest promotional tool for crowdfunding and the ONLY valuable piece of that video was at the 00:32 and 2:32 mark when I see a clear picture of the product...but I wanted to see more detail.

(b) it is clear, by only having 2 backers, that you did no initial planning for outreach. Where are your friends and family? They should be backing you, even if for $1. You need to show momentum, you cannot just count on the Kickstarter audience

(c) campaign is far too long...keep it to max 30 days

(d) you have a 47 video in your campaign page the first 34 seconds of which is boring, watching a guy pour shot glasses then only right at the end do we start to see a close up with remote control but then the video gets cut off

(e) campaign page unnecessarily too long....same pictures of shot glasses keep coming up. Show me something new...open up your product, show me how it is build. I find your page and video are mostly selling a good time partying at a bar or drinking, but not the LED shot tray

my 2 cents guys, good luck. You may want to stop the campaign, clean up a few things and relaunch again when better prepared. I know it's not what you want to hear but based on what I saw, that's what I would do

greg

• GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Sat May 30, 2015 12:17 pm

tquach wrote:
    GregSilas wrote:
    GregSilas wrote:sorry, finally loaded now. will review

Why do you have 2 x $65 rewards and why 5 rewards between $35 and $65? Maybe simplify. Also, $25 = $35 and $45 = $65 rewards. If you are going to release 1 reward first and then when it fills up, release the other, that is fine. But of course you can't release all of those at the same time.

No video?

Thanks for your reply, I will do my best to explain my reasoning:

Two of my 65$ rewards offer different things.
    One of them is more limited than the other, it's like an early bird special.

The rewards between 35-65 are just the worth of the product they are receiving. I am not sure how to explain anymore than that really!

And I am uncomfortable with the idea of having a video because my skills with animation and video programs are very weak, and feel that my campaign will do better with just pictures.

Videos help connect the audience with you, the seller. Builds trust. I would make one. Greg
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Sat May 30, 2015 12:18 pm

daikkenaurora wrote:I liked your facebook page. I have an artbook project on Indiegogo. Here is my project link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/time ... x/10650671

Thank you

This is a cool project, I liked your campaign page. Will back it

Greg
    Charles
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by Charles » Sun May 31, 2015 5:37 am

GregSilas wrote:HI guys. I'll be blunt as I don't have much time so don't take it personally.
    (a) Well first...your video. The first 20 seconds are a waste...boring text...you're asking the audience to wait 20 seconds before they even see the product. And then they see it for 2 seconds before you go back for more text...34 more seconds of nothing but text and not saying anything new. Then we see the shot tray again for 1 second at the 00:56 mark. But from 00:57 to 01:39 more text, stuff running off different angles of the screen, pictures of a party scene.. The audience knows you are LED, they know the "crown jewel"...you say it like 5 times, they know the purpose of the video. Leave text (call to action only) until the end. The first time we see you is 01:39. I would immediately change your video so that you guys show up right away, or, the audience immediately understands the product because you have 10 seconds to grab people's attention and 30 seconds to explain the product. Your product needs to be DEMONSTRATED in detail right away. Later on you can drop a few party scenes. 01:39 to 01:47, Michael is talking but looking to the side for his lines, then again at 01:58. Michael should know his lines by heart. Both of the founders are talking about the shot glass/tray but the audience still does not understand it. Further, Michael should know his lines by heart. 2:05 you show a simple shot of the shot tray. You are still not demonstrating how it works, close ups, different angles, how was it built? Where do batteries go? How does it pack up? Is it durable? Sell me the product. 02:10 to 02:32...another 22 seconds wasted on snap photography. You are not showing anything new to the audience, just giving them a headache. Your video is your single biggest promotional tool for crowdfunding and the ONLY valuable piece of that video was at the 00:32 and 2:32 mark when I see a clear picture of the product...but I wanted to see more detail.

(b) it is clear, by only having 2 backers, that you did no initial planning for outreach. Where are your friends and family? They should be backing you, even if for $1. You need to show momentum, you cannot just count on the Kickstarter audience

(c) campaign is far too long...keep it to max 30 days

(d) you have a 47 video in your campaign page the first 34 seconds of which is boring, watching a guy pour shot glasses then only right at the end do we start to see a close up with remote control but then the video gets cut off

(e) campaign page unnecessarily too long....same pictures of shot glasses keep coming up. Show me something new...open up your product, show me how it is build. I find your page and video are mostly selling a good time partying at a bar or drinking, but not the LED shot tray

my 2 cents guys, good luck. You may want to stop the campaign, clean up a few things and relaunch again when better prepared. I know it's not what you want to hear but based on what I saw, that's what I would do

greg

This is all good, solid feedback.

Two thumbs up on that feedback, Greg!
    Squatch Kick! - Crowdfunding tips and articles
    Currently backing on KickStarter: YEAR OF THE GOAT ISSUE #2
  • Hyokune
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by Hyokune » Sun May 31, 2015 9:45 am

Hey greg! Will you be able to check out my kickstarter too?!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hy ... m-unwanted

I'm really hoping for this kickstarter to work out, but I am new to this scene and don't have many people that I know of..
    also I'm not part of many communities so I don't have a way of getting this information to people...
    [UNWANTED] ALBUM PRODUCTION KICKSTARTER
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Sun May 31, 2015 3:08 pm

This is all good, solid feedback.

Two thumbs up on that feedback, Greg![/quote]

Thanks Charles!
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Sun May 31, 2015 3:19 pm

Hyokune wrote:Hey greg! Will you be able to check out my kickstarter too?!

I'm really hoping for this kickstarter to work out, but I am new to this scene and don't have many people that I know of..
    also I'm not part of many communities so I don't have a way of getting this information to people...

I think your video is good, very much connects the audience to your personality and because your goal is fairly low, it should be easy to attain. A few things though

1) You have only text on your campaign page. I would throw up a few pictures...may of you playing music on piano or something.

2) I would not say you are not good at playing guitar. Doesn't help you

3) Risks: the audience should know that you did your homework and know your costs. When you launch a campaign, you should be on top of your stuff, organized

4) you only have 1 reward. I would scan other music projects and get ideas. You should have at least 2 or 3 rewards..people like to have some choices

5) outreach: this is up to you but the most important one. Send your campaign to everyone on your email list, your friends at school, your friend's friends, your family's friends, facebook friends, etc. Your school's newspaper or website. Any angle to which you can potentially get exposure

good luck
    carboLab
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by carboLab » Sun May 31, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi there !

I read really nice feedback for some projects here and if it's OK, I'll be really glad if you could give me some feedback on my current campaign.

We didn't have a really good start, but not a too bad either and it would mean the world to us if you could give us some insight :) Right now we have 95 backers for 650 videos plays and 42% watched the video entirely. So I suppose the video isn't too bad, but we have so few visits :(

Here is the link : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... obile-game
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Mathieu
    Think Zombie - Mobile Game - iOS, Android & Windows
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mahoudeau/think-zombie-mobile-game
  • GregSilas
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by GregSilas » Sun May 31, 2015 3:56 pm

carboLab wrote:Hi there !

I read really nice feedback for some projects here and if it's OK, I'll be really glad if you could give me some feedback on my current campaign.

We didn't have a really good start, but not a too bad either and it would mean the world to us if you could give us some insight :) Right now we have 95 backers for 650 videos plays and 42% watched the video entirely. So I suppose the video isn't too bad, but we have so few visits :(

Here is the link : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... obile-game
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Mathieu

Hi, some quick feedback..I gotta run..

1) too many rewards at the low end of the range but you can't change it now since some people have backed those tiers

2) very long campaign page but I realize you wanted to do it in french and english versions. However, I assume the reason you are doing it in french is because you want a local audience (France). You have 95 backers so far..where are they coming from? English or french areas? I think you should measure the geography and then you can adjust your other outreach methods and optimize where to spend your time and money

3) video is good...short, I don't have too much negative to say about it but realize I'm not a gamer and for me I would've cut out a lot of screens...but again, gamers probably like it.

4) 42% watched til the end, that is good and 95 backers is a very good ratio to that but not sure how many of the 95 were your close friends/family and would've backed you anyways

5) outreach: this is the biggest issue. Not sure how much you did in advance...bloggers, media, friends, etc. But this is crucial RIGHT NOW! Crowdcrux and other people have written about the best way to promote games...there's a lot of info out there (which blogs, sub-reddits, etc)

6) There is a crowdfunding expert named Lobster who specializes in games...you don't pay him, he just loves the gaming world. He wrote a huge guide as to how to run a crowdfunding campaign for games. He would also be very knowledgeable as to where to promote them: https://twitter.com/LobsterSundew, lobstersundew.imgur.com. His guide is free. He has backed 700 gaming crowdfunding campaigns

Good luck!
    Greg
    carboLab
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

by carboLab » Sun May 31, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks a lot for your insight :)
    We have mainly french backers in numbers (our friends and family) but mostly american backers for the "real" backers.
    We'll focus on the U.S. I think.
    We'll put the french version on our website, it will reduce the projecct page and help it load faster :)
    We tried to build a crowd 2 months before launch but I guess that wasn't enough. Our press coverage isn't big enough, but since we're new to it we probably didn't do it well. It's a bit sad, because I think our project is objectively a nice game :)

Finally that's really nice from you and I'll get in touch with Lobster right away :)

Thank you so much.
    Mathieu
    Think Zombie - Mobile Game - iOS, Android & Windows
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mahoudeau/think-zombie-mobile-game