Filming Our Kickstarter Video was a disaster...
  • SkarnenFilm
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Filming Our Kickstarter Video was a disaster...

by SkarnenFilm » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm editing this post to make it more relevant to the forum.

I am currently running a Kickstarter campaign - we set off to film our Kickstarter video in the location of our film and give the audience a really good sense of what the film would feel like.

Long story short, the trip was a disaster. We lost a camera, there was battling the elements, there was a crazy hostel owner, there were midges. We failed at shooting our video and ended up doing a salvage job in about 24 horus before we launched.

We've gotten a lot of feedback that our video is visually unstimulating and of course I know why that is, but no one visiting our page knows why.

Our campaign is not doing very well - despite the fact that we've been featured in a lot of blogs and have a Facebook following of 2,000 (not too shabby for a microbudget indie short film)

But, this isn't converting into pledges. We're doing all we can - spending all day emailing and cold calling relevant interest groups for our film and it's just not turning over.

This is a warning and a heartfelt message to you guys working on your pre-launch -- make sure that video is tight. Schedule a lot of time for editing and re-shoots if necessary. Have every single shot planned out in advance and practice the shots. We did not budget in either time or money for the thing to go spectacularly wrong and I feel very self-conscious that we're not putting our best foot forward on that immediate first impression.

Please heed our advice. Best of luck to all of you.
    Last edited by SkarnenFilm on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RFIDsecur
    -- Senior Member --
    -- Senior Member --

Re: We Nearly Died Filming Our Kickstarter Video

by RFIDsecur » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:18 am

SkarnenFilm wrote:!LONG POST ALERT!

Warning you guys now this is going to be long-winded.

If this story stirred you heartstrings, please visit our campaign page here: http://kck.st/2LaCcVI

Why, did I scan this, am I answering this, did I out of disbelief look at the campaign ? I can't even say it's out of a support for a fellow Devonian, because I didn't even know that, it is the only reason I responded though.

Probably would have been better to make a film of the making of the campaign than this post...

Looking at your stats, you were onto a good start what happened? are these friends and family? then it dived off..
    https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/846091865/skarnen-dark-ages-dramatic-fantasy-short-film-on-s/#chart-daily

Are you maxing out your Devon reach, there are lots of local groups and bigger groups you could reach out to, to boost your local support base. There are a large number of international actors with residences here, if you could get someone like that to pick up on your campaign just to mention it would help.

This post tells us nothing about what you want, have issues with or how it helps anyone else. What did you expect from your post here?
  • SkarnenFilm
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Filming Our Kickstarter Video was a disaster...

by SkarnenFilm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Hey there RFIDsecur, thanks for posting.

I went ahead and edited that post after I received your advice because I felt a little embarrassed and you're right that it wasn't related to the forum in any way -

Thanks for taking a look at our page - yeah, we've reached out to several Devon groups because of Tim. We've been targeting lots of special interest groups that would enjoy the film and the subject matter, and to be honest, we get a lot of people who are interested in working with us or say the film looks awesome and a lot of shares. We've been featured in about 5 blogs and publications and we did really well in a screenwriting competition...it just isn't converting over into pledges which is quite frustrating obviously.

I'm out there all day every day emailing people and reaching out to lots of different groups - so far we haven't found something that sticks. We do have several interesting collaborations in the works though.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply and give your feedback. I appreciate it. And I took your notes to heart so I've edited the content. (It was way too long and rambling anyway). I'm the loud, rambling American one - don't let it reflect badly on your fellow Devonian who is the salt of the earth.
  • educaPix
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Filming Our Kickstarter Video was a disaster...

by educaPix » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks RFIDsecur for point me to http://www.kicktraq.com... interesting website :)