Devin Greigh: Testimony (Feedback Needed!)
  • JeighEssdottBooks
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Devin Greigh: Testimony (Feedback Needed!)

by JeighEssdottBooks » Mon May 05, 2014 4:49 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Jeigh Essdott, author of my new Paranormal Fiction Series, Devin Greigh.

The story has been self-published since 2012, and I have been looking to have it professionally edited and polished, along with having it distributed into public book stores as well as online. The book has sold to few readers, but received great reviews, and I am looking to have it in the hands of the masses.

Devin Greigh: Testimony is an epic paranormal tale that blends suspenseful drama and action with paranormal fantasy, and is perfect for young adults and older. I am looking to raise the money to not only have the first book professionally ready and marketed, but to complete and publish the three other installments of the series. I also look to open an online book store, Jeigh Essdott Books, where you can purchase the Devin Greigh Series, along with other titles I will be writing, from the comfort of your computer or mobile device.

Any help, advice, or even pledge is greatly appreciated, as I am a first-time Kickstarter-er, and I am looking to back others while I promote my campaign. My project went live on Friday, May 2, 2014, and so far I've been really pushing the envelope with promoting the campaign. I could definitely use your help!

Here is the link! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2096262420/devin-greigh-testimony

Rise, Shine, Prevail,

Jeigh Essdott Books
    Last edited by JeighEssdottBooks on Tue May 06, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rise, Shine, Prevail,

Jeigh Essdott Books

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... -testimony
  • jazz1m
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: First Kickstarter - an Epic Paranormal Novel (Need Feedb

by jazz1m » Mon May 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Hi Jeigh,
    The book sounds interesting but I think it's a good idea to have a $5 backer level, maybe something like a thank you in the back of the book. Also, might be good to read over the story section as there are a couple grammatical issues. There are also parts where you can just simplify the sentence like here: "I will be able to work on marketing and promoting the first book" why not just say I will be able to market and promote the first book? There are also a couple small typos:

"Each character has unique and lovable personalities, which makes for each character interaction very memorable"
    Should read each character has a unique and lovable personality, which makes each character interaction very memorable.

"Evenfleu Andreas, is a very observing, quirky, and fun character"

Should read Evenfleu Andreas, is a very observant, quirky and fun character

Also, why not offer a digital copy of the book in PDF format? Nowadays a lot of people have e-readers so it might make sense to offer this.
    Please help fund my Kickstarter project for Once Upon a Runner - a story driven 2D runner game! http://tinyurl.com/oz3xcpg
  • JeighEssdottBooks
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

Re: First Kickstarter - an Epic Paranormal Novel (Need Feedb

by JeighEssdottBooks » Mon May 05, 2014 7:09 pm

jazz1m wrote:Hi Jeigh,
    The book sounds interesting but I think it's a good idea to have a $5 backer level, maybe something like a thank you in the back of the book. Also, might be good to read over the story section as there are a couple grammatical issues. There are also parts where you can just simplify the sentence like here: "I will be able to work on marketing and promoting the first book" why not just say I will be able to market and promote the first book? There are also a couple small typos:

"Each character has unique and lovable personalities, which makes for each character interaction very memorable"
    Should read each character has a unique and lovable personality, which makes each character interaction very memorable.

"Evenfleu Andreas, is a very observing, quirky, and fun character"

Should read Evenfleu Andreas, is a very observant, quirky and fun character

Also, why not offer a digital copy of the book in PDF format? Nowadays a lot of people have e-readers so it might make sense to offer this.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm making those corrections now. It's funny, because I was just looking over those sections of my story.

Also, a digital version is a great idea. I'm going to add that. I have some other great ideas for rewards as well!

I have "add acknowledgements for rewards" on my "to-do" list as well, but it's really good that you pointed that out. I want to make sure backers get the best experience out of their pledges!
    Rise, Shine, Prevail,

Jeigh Essdott Books

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

Re: Devin Greigh: Testimony (Feedback Needed!)

by sbriggman » Fri May 09, 2014 4:54 pm

I've always found campaigns in the fiction category to have a bit of a different trajectory than campaigns in the gaming or design category. I've noticed that most of these campaigns will receive 50% of funds from their social network, past readers, and supporters. I'm not sure why - but it may have something to do with that it's harder to get traction off Kickstarter because most blogs will only review books when they are complete (which is how a lot of PR is gotten in the publishing world).

Therefore, I would try to set as low a goal as possible and try to attract more backers from your professional and personal network.
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
  • JeighEssdottBooks
    -- Junior Member --
    -- Junior Member --

by JeighEssdottBooks » Fri May 09, 2014 7:17 pm

sbriggman wrote:I've always found campaigns in the fiction category to have a bit of a different trajectory than campaigns in the gaming or design category. I've noticed that most of these campaigns will receive 50% of funds from their social network, past readers, and supporters. I'm not sure why - but it may have something to do with that it's harder to get traction off Kickstarter because most blogs will only review books when they are complete (which is how a lot of PR is gotten in the publishing world).

Therefore, I would try to set as low a goal as possible and try to attract more backers from your professional and personal network.

Good point. I know it's too late to change the goal, but would I be able to cancel the project and restart it under a a lower goal?
    Rise, Shine, Prevail,

Jeigh Essdott Books

sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon May 12, 2014 3:25 pm

You can cancel, but I would wait a little and do a little more preparation before you launch (lining up family/friend backers, researching similar projects and developing a marketing plan, etc). Some tips on relaunching: http://www.crowdcrux.com/ultimate-tips- ... -campaign/
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.