Copy editor and novelist
    dylanmad

Copy editor and novelist

by dylanmad » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Hello everyone! I'm Dylan Madeley, a copy editor and novelist. I live in Toronto with a roommate and my two chinchillas, Liam and Basil. Oh, I know you want to see them so I'll just enclose a couple of pics here.

The dark furred one is Liam, he's older and roughly twice the size. The smaller lighter one is Basil.

My self-pub novel project is going to launch on Kickstarter in September. However, I'm the copy editor for Auxiliary Magazine, and Auxiliary's project is going on right now. I've tried boosting the signal with Fiverr freelancers, and I'm setting up a Thunderclap, and I'm just promoting like anything. When I interviewed Vincent Marcone and Janine White who successfully ran Johnny Hollow's campaign, it's true what they said: this is a job. And also that I shouldn't do it alone, which is why I'm glad I have Auxiliary's other editors for help (or rather, I'm the one helping them, we're helping each other, whatever), and I have a crew organized in advance of my personal Kickstarter in September.

• SpiralStorm
    -- New Member --
    -- New Member --

Re: Copy editor and novelist

by SpiralStorm » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi there, Dylan! Please allow me to welcome you to the Kickstarter Forum. I am new here myself, but I would like to speak to you as I am a fellow novelist and I hope you're able to get published! By the way, can I ask who your room-mate is?
    sbriggman
    -- Veteran Member --
    -- Veteran Member --

by sbriggman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:50 am

@dylan - I pledged my social support to your thunderclap :)

How's the campaign going so far?
    Learn how to succeed on Kickstarter: here.
    Submit a free press release for your Kickstarter campaign here.
    dylanmad

by dylanmad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:19 am

Thanks! We started off making $1200 within the first 24 hours or so. Between then and now, we have about 23 days left and it's inched up to $1349 spread across 44 backers. We have some things in the works including this Thunderclap, which has now sprung to 26 supporters from yesterday's 19 (having one of the other editors on this project make a Facebook group for it, then invite people to it, did a far better job than my 1:1 personalized private social media messages in this case). I think over the next week we'll see what comes of some of our initiatives, and some of the affirmatives we've had from high profile sharers of the campaign who've been interviewed in past issues, etc.

The executive editor came up with printable B&W flyers, four per page and one sided, because many supporters of the styles of music we cover are DJs and if they have events prior to July 23 they can leave these small flyers on tables. The number of different DJs who have agreed covers a decent range of styles and events still under the alternative music umbrella. It may be a while before we know the true impact of that.

So there's no sense of panic or flop. We're in progress, and just trying to chip away at the typical middle-campaign lull.